Art. # 284
SUPPORT AWARD (Welfare, Conservation & Tourism division)
Letter of recommendation for Pack Safari in view of the Eco Awards application
Photos and text by Stefan Rust
(In terms of the Geneva Convention the copyright of these texts belongs to Stefan Rust)
Eco Awards Namibia is a mark of recognition in form of a desert flower certificate for tourism establishments and companies that implement certain standards of sustainable environmental practices, in order to conserve nature for the future.
After a ‘first come – first serve’ basis invitation for the Eco Awards Namibia to conduct the first pilot assessment at a Namibian tour operator in April this year, Pack Safari is the first Namibian Tour Operator to be recognized and assessed by Eco Awards Namibia.
Already in 2012 BirdsConTour awarded Pack Safari via its Onjala Lodge with a 3 Penguin valued recognition for their sustainable practices in terms of bird conservation. Since then Pack Safari was recognized annually. BirdsConTour is an organization that supports and promotes welfare, conservation and sustainable tourism. In collaboration with BirdsConTour Pack Safari applies the following practices:
- On the existing company premises a wild bird friendly garden was established.
- For the planned construction of the new company premises Pack Safari let BirdsConTour in collaboration with 'Das Zeichenbüro' (Architectural Drawing Office) design plans with bird-friendly infrastructure (integrated nesting sites into the walls).
- BirdsConTour was appointed as a guest speaker with the topic "Bird life and sustainable guiding" for the annual Pack Safari tour guide training seminar in 2014.
- Pack Safari brought in BirdsConTour as an equal partner in the aspect of sustainable guided specialized ornithological tours.
- Pack Safari takes largely accommodations and program providers in their itineraries and tour program that have been awarded by BirdsConTour in terms of sustainable practices, such as:
* A-Little-Sossus Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Camp Chobe 3 Penguin 2013
* Conny’s Restaurant 1 Penguin 2014
* Etendero Guestfarm 2 Penguin 2013
* Gelukspoort Guestfarm 2 Penguin 2014
* Hohenstein Lodge 2 Penguin 2013, 2014
* Immanuel Wilderness Lodge 2 Penguin 2014
* Klein Aus Vista Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Lianshulu Bush Lodge 3 Penguin 2014
* Lianshulu Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Namib Desert Lodge 3 Penguin 2013
* Omandumba Farm 2 Penguin 2013, 2014
* Onjala Lodge 3 Penguin 2012, 2013
* Pack Safari 3 Penguin 2014
* Sea Breeze Guesthouse 2 Penguin 2014
* Seidarap Guesthouse 2 Penguin 2013, 3 Penguin 2014
* Solitaire Guestfarm 2 Penguin 2013
* Susuwe Island Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Voigtland Guesthouse 2 Penguin 2013
* Chobe Safari Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Dumela Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Nata Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Thamalakane River Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Xaro Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Gorges Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Ilala Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Victoria Falls Safari Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Annie’s Cottage 2 Penguin 2013
* Hannah Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Mopane Bush Lodge 2 Penguin 2013
* Villa Lutzi 2 Penguin 2013
For confirmation and for further reference all services, activity providers and accommodations that are listed above are explained in more detail on the BirdsConTour website (www.birdscontour.blogspot.com).